How to Qualify for Lasik Treatment
Lasik is a form of eye surgery administered by eye doctors to correct vision problems by reshaping the eye’s inner cornea through laser treatment. The word LASIK is shortened for laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis, and it is the most common eye procedure for nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hypercopia) and astigmatism. Lasik Houston experts say this procedure is 96% effective, and those who undergo this treatment will dramatically reduce their dependence on eyeglasses and contact lenses.
What You Should Know About the Cornea
The cornea functions like a camera lens that focuses light to make an image on the film; it uses the light to focus on objects and create image for the retina to recognize. A retina that is out-of-shape results to out-of-focus or distorted (blurry) vision. This imperfection is called refractive error, and it can be classified into three types; hypercopia, myopia, and astigmatism. People with these conditions have deformed retina, which results to difficulty recognizing distance and identifying near or far objects.
Lasik is a surgical procedure aimed to improve the ability of retina to focus. Like other forms of laser vision treatment procedures, it works by reforming the cornea (clear front of the eye) to allow light to travel properly, allowing the eye to focus better with the retina (back part of the eye). Lasik doctors in Houston, for example, use special laser to precisely take off corneal tissue and reshape the cornea.
Is This Procedure for You?
Anyone having a hard time focusing their vision can be a Lasik candidate. But the keyword is “can.” Lasik Houston experts conduct tests to verify if one can qualify for the treatment.
If you’re thinking about getting this treatment, then here are some of the most important factors you need to know.
• You should be at least 18 years old. If you are over 21 years old, then you can qualify for laser treatment for moderate to severe myopia, with or without astigmatism. And mild to moderate treatment for hypercopia, with or without astigmatism.
• Your eyes should be generally healthy. This means your eyes should be free from any form of corneal abnormalities such as infections and scars, and most especially eye diseases.
• Because Lasik is an eye treatment performed on patients lying down, you should be able to lie flat on your back without feeling any discomfort.
• You should be able to keep your eye fixed on a light point for at least one minute. Though modern equipment come with automatic laser tracks that can keep up with your eyes, not every eye doctor in Houston has the most advanced equipment laser surgery equipment. During the treatment, patients are required to fix their sight on one point to ensure safe and best results.
• Know that Lasik Houston treatment will reshape the cornea of your eyes, and for eye doctors to have a good start, they should have a fixed shape of cornea to start with. Contact lenses have the ability to reshape our cornea. Thus, you should be willing stop wearing your contact lenses for at least a couple of weeks depending on doctor’s advice. Some Lasik doctors in Houston even advise their patients to stop wearing their contact lenses up to a month before the procedure.
In most cases, Lasik treatment is safe and pain-free. Depending on the severity of the condition and the required treatment, the procedure can be completed in as fast as 15 minutes for both eyes. Results can be instant or at least 24 hours. However, not all eye problems can be fixed with Lasik. If you think you are experiencing cataract symptoms, then it’s best to consult your doctor. You can also visit and book your consultation injohngoosey.com to get the best eye doctors.